Friday, April 16, 2010

neVer forgeT


Today is the third year anniversary of the Virginia Tech shooting. Although I was not yet a Hokie at the time of this awful event, I feel connected to it and as result am affected by it. I am deeply saddened by the fact that 32 innocent people lost their lives that day. I often think about it, they aren't just names marked on the stones of the memorial site, they were sons, daughters, friends, and loved ones.

In addition to it being the third year anniversary, today is also a beautiful day. It is the kind of day where I think to myself that Blacksburg must be its own little slice of heaven sequestered in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I feel as though the weather is perfect for all of today's remembrance activities. It draws people out of their rooms and onto the drill field to pay respects and just hang out on campus.

I am also reminded today of Virginia Tech's spirit. So many people were proudly wearing their maroon and orange united by the immense school pride and spirit that Virginia Tech fosters within its students and faculty. Also, there was an adorable old man in front of Burrus today with a cartful of little Chihuahua dogs for people to play with and make them smile. It is small acts of kindness like that, helping people put a smile on their face on such a sad day, that truly makes me proud to be a Hokie.

In closing I leave you with my favorite 4/16 memorial quote:
"While 32 of our friends and classmates are trying to explain to heaven what a Hokie is, I stand here sure in the fact that I wouldn’t want to be anything else"


lovelove.
Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment