Friday, December 10, 2010

"the best thing about a picture is that nothing changes, even if the people in it do" -Andy Warhol

"I hope you realize that all the problems between me and _____ involved you."

Bold. This was said to me the other day by someone I thought would be a lifelong friend. While I cannot go into specifics about the nature of the circumantces that lead to this, I want to make it clear I never intended by what I did or said to hurt anyone. And I have been thinking a lot about what was said to me and I can only come to one conclusion or better one question, why am I to blame for your problems? How can a third party be attacked for your problems? I try to keep my distance from this relationship as much as I possibly can, but it becomes quite difficult when aspects of this relationship are consistently brought to my attention. So, as a friend to the other person in this relationship what do I do? Do I tell them no I will not listen to the dissection of their relationship? Do I tune it out? Do I just have no reaction when certain things happen to cause this person pain? What do I do? And furthermore, all persons involved in this circumstance have been friends for over a decade. How can I remove myself from the tight group of friends just because two people decided to change their relationship? It is unrealistic for me to maintain a friendship like this. It is also not appropriate in the end to blame an outsider for issues on the inside. It is not my fault, I have every right to react to any information that is presented to me-good or bad. I don't think my reactions have an affect on this relationship, and am hurt to be the scape goat for these "problems."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Andy Warhol quote. So true. Hope things work out with your friend.

    ReplyDelete