Sunday, August 15, 2010

Blaire Says: Moving into College.

Twas the day of move in and the clock the clock struck 11 a.m. A pair of frantic parents sped down 95 in hopes of reaching our destination by 12:15 p.m. Typically, traveling in a car of Virden’s we are two hours late… but Mike drove just like his nick name, and we “smoothly” arrived only thirty minutes late. Mounds of anything you’d want need or couldn’t imagine you’d ever need were piled outside of my coastal Carolina housing area. Mike (the pack mule for the day) ventured up three flights of stairs having more than he could carry. When he came back down stairs a sarcastic grin stretched across his tried face. He leaned in my ear and said your roommate got switched. Before arriving I had been the butt of all jokes seeing as the room mate I’d anticipated on was … well opposite of me. I’ll leave it at that.

I skipped the stair master part and walked my ass to the elevators, not knowing what to expect. A New York happy Italian family welcomed me. My roommate is a former cheerleader too. She was a real cheerleader capable of doing back handsprings not like a Centennial cheerleader who does face plants. We squished all our stuff in bundles of bins and baskets. After complaining after four years of rising to the top only to re-get shit on with that lovely small freshmen housing. As my dad begin shifting things and setting up stuff my mom played Martha Stewart for a few hours. I on the other hand could not stop starring at my open door. This door I would soon realize was something more than just our hallway entrance. It was weird somehow lights lit up on both sides of the rug and raging techno super pop beats began to play. It was like a runway and it also was when I happened to see our neighbors on the other side of the hall. They were meaty and smelled delicious. They also happened to be the freshmen boys. Shortly after setting up Gabby and I had to go to a meeting for “welcome week”.

This week was an exclusive invite. You had to meet all the requirements to be apart of it:
1. Must be clueless as to where you will be attending classes for the next three months.
2. You must be a little awkwardly shy and the babies of the group.
3. Anyone you talk to will be a complete stranger (sorry mom).
As you can tell it was pretty much v.i.p. for all the really cool kids on campus. But anyways when we arrived in the auditorium we were quickly notified of Coastal code of bullshit, I mean conduct. We came back to our dorms and I realized how adorable my mother made my room. Our floor was full of friendly freshmen running around walking into everyone’s new dorms. I extolled a sigh of relief seeing how open everyone was to getting to know new people. I learned a lot of new things. One being a new numbing cream you can use when practicing the art of giving self-inflected piercings. (Sorry mom) Also all these different types of food I can gain my freshmen 15 with.

We then went out. Chaos ensued. This is just the first night of many other new interesting indeviours.

No comments:

Post a Comment